Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Never leave a 10mm socket in your valve cover :<

  1. #1
    Inactive Member vincentc's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 1999
    Posts
    79
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Last week I was driving to work, taking it easy because I knew that my belts were in rough shape. All of a sudden I hear a snap and the engine bogs, dies, and won't restart. So I figure the blower belt snapped, no problem. Well after popping the hood, I notice that all of the belts are intact. Ut oh, better call for a tow. Later in the day I pull the valve cover to start investigating and notice that the cam gears weren't lined up at TDC. When I attempted to pull off the exhaust gear, it just spun. Then I noticed a 10mm socket next to the exhaust valve adjustment near cylinder #1. Seems that around 10k miles ago, I forgot the socket after the 30k mile valve adjustment and it finally jared loose and stopped the exhaust cam dead. The good news is that all that was damaged was the gear and the jam pin. I also found out how easy it is to replace the timing belt and set the gears. I had to buy a real air impact gun (400 ft lbs) inorder to remove the main pulley, but now I don't have any reservations when it comes time to replace the belt. Boosting again.

    Charlie


  2. #2
    Inactive Member fastfour's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 27th, 1999
    Posts
    709
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Congrats and glad it didn't do any big time damage. You're lucky smile

    ------------------
    94 Civic Coupe/LS Hybrid
    JRSC@9psi
    Turbo Convert
    Import Specialty Automotive (253) 473-2606

  3. #3
    MarkC
    Guest MarkC's Avatar

    Red face

    Ouch man! OUUUUCCCCHHH!!

    ------------------
    Mark - www.turbomafia.com - Importparts.com
    98 Pearl Black GS-R, DRAG Gen. 3 Turbo
    Best ET: 13.318
    Best MPH: 108.8MPH

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •